Make this easy and darling Burlap Flag Pillow for all of the patriotic holidays, or even year round!
Burlap Flag Pillow
With Memorial Day the end of May, then Flag Day on June 14th, and the 4th of July, flag & patriotic decor can be up for awhile, which I LOVE. Independence Day has long been my favorite holiday (next to Christmas), and I get so excited when I can start decorating. I made this darling burlap flag pillow for my front entry bench, and it’s perfect!
It’s really easy to make, and I used the same method as my burlap flag bunting. I already had a burlap pillow cover that’s been sitting in my closet, but I would have made one otherwise. I actually need to make a couple for my boys’ beds, so hopefully I’ll be able to post a tutorial on those soon. In addition to the pillow cover, all you need is just a couple of supplies, and you’ll have your own super cute burlap flag pillow!
Affiliate links are included below for your convenience. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- burlap pillow cover
- -painters tape
- -vinyl stars or stickers
- -spray paint, red & navy blue OR craft paint
Before you start, insert a piece of cardboard inside your pillow, so the paint doesn’t soak through. If you can get a piece that’s just about as big to fit inside the pillow, it will also keep it spread out the pillow and keep it’s shape while you paint it.
1. I cut out vinyl stars with my Silhouette, but you could always try and find stickers the right size, which would also work. My burlap pillow cover is 20 x 20, and I cut my stars to be about 2.3 inches wide and 2.7 inches tall. I cut 14 of them—for two rows of five, and one row of four. I placed my vinyl stars on the pillow cover, keeping them on the top third. To make the stripes, I used painters’ tape, and layered two pieces to get the thickness I wanted.
2. You need to paint this in two stages–the stars, and then the stripes. I covered up the stripes with a board, so I could paint the stars and not get any blue paint on the bottom part.
3. Spray the top part navy blue (I used Rustoleum Navy), and let dry.
4. Once the blue is totally dry, move the board to the top, cover up the stars, then paint the stripes red. (I used Rustoleum Regal Red) Remove the board, and let dry.
Pop in your pillow insert, and you’re done!!! Super easy, and SUPER cute!!!
Updated post…originally posted in May of 2013!