Make this easy DIY Ski Storage Rack in an hour! Perfect for garage or basement storage all year long.
Our family loves to ski–it’s one of the reasons we also love winter! Even my littlest has now joined the ranks, and with all of our skis adding up, we REALLY needed a place to store them. Not only a place where we would have easy access to them through the ski season, but also easily store them for the rest of the year. We decided on our garage, so it would be close to our vehicle for faster loading. But this would also work well in a basement, or any place you have space.
This is such a quick and easy project…and great for beginners too. In about an hour you can put this together, and have organized ski storage! I just love that we have a designated place for them–close, but still out of the way.
Affiliate links of the products I used and love are included below for your convenience. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
DIY Ski Storage Rack Supply List:
- 3/4 inch plywood
- 7/8 inch wood pegs, cut to 6 inch lengths (2 per set of skis)
- #8 screw hooks (1 per set of poles)
- 7/8 inch Forstner bit
- Wood glue
- Wood sealant
- Cut the plywood 4 inches wide by whatever length you need–and how many sets of skis you’re planning to hang. We left 8 inches in between each set of pegs (measured between the center of one set of pegs, to the center of the next set of pegs), plus 2 inches in between each set of pegs, plus room at each end. You’ll need a set of pegs for every set of skis. If you’re not sure about the length, you can always cut the 4 inch width, add all the pegs and hooks, then make the length cut at the very end. P.S. We don’t recommend using MDF, in place of the plywood. Plywood is stronger, and more resilient when getting wet–which happens with skis.
- Cut the pegs to 6 inches in length. You’ll need two per set of skis you’re hanging up. They come in 3 foot lengths, so you should be able to get 6 out of each one.
- Carefully measure and mark where the pegs will go. Each set of two pegs are 2 inches apart, measured from the center of each peg.
- With a 7/8 inch Forstner bit, drill the holes for each set of pegs. Use wood glue to adhere the pegs into the holes.
- Add the screw hooks–one per set of poles. We put ours to the left of each set of skis, centered in between in each set of pegs.
- Cut the final length, if you haven’t done that yet.
- When it gets warmer outside, we will add a sealant, but since it’s SO cold here right now, we’re going to wait.
Now you’re ready to hang your DIY Ski Storage Rack! We screwed them into the studs in our garage (3 inch screws), high enough up so we would have room still put things up against the wall if needed.
Click here to join my newsletter! DIY, farmhouse style, organization, recipes, holiday ideas, and more!
Other ideas you might like…
- Our Painted Basement Ceiling…and why we love it!
- Easy DIY $15 Wooden Blanket Ladder
- Farmhouse Sink Pros and Cons
- Our Bathroom Under the Stairs!