One of my husband’s most favorite desserts is Apple Crisp. So, as the very good wife that I am, I spent years searching for the best recipe I could find, with the focus being on that yummy, crumbly topping, which is what I think the whole point of having Apple Crisp is. :) And you know what? I found it. Several years ago, I tried this recipe, and I’ve never gone back. It really is The Best Apple Crisp!
I will tell you, I love it because there it makes A LOT of the topping, which is my favorite part. My husband also always asks for “extra” crumbly topping of any kind, so it satisfied both of our appetites. If you like more apple than crisp, than you might want to consider cutting the topping recipe in half. If you love the crisp part, you don’t need to double it…there is plenty!
Our favorite way to serve this is warm out of the oven, topped with vanilla ice cream. My mouth is seriously watering, right NOW! It does warm up beautifully, so it makes for perfect leftovers or midnight snacks! It’s so easy to put together, with the slicing of the apples taking up the most time. It’s worth it, though…you won’t be sorry!
It’s perfect for the fall, but we love it all winter.
Who am I kidding…
We love it all year round.
It’s wonderful as part of a Thanksgiving menu, to serve to guests, or at home with your own family!
The Best Apple Crisp
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. oats
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. butter
- 2 quarts apples--cored peeled, and sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish, and layer your apples in the dish.
- Spread the oatmeal mixture on top of the apples evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.