The BEST Apple Crisp! A crumbly oats and brown sugar topping over sliced apples…baked in the oven until warm and bubbly. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream! Super easy fall dessert.
The BEST Apple Crisp
One of my husband’s most favorite desserts is Apple Crisp, and it’s on repeat at our house through the fall and winter. He always asks for extra “crisp”, so I created this recipe to have a LOT of the topping, which is also my favorite part!
If you like more apple than crisp, than you might want to consider cutting the topping recipe in half. If you love the crisp part, you don’t need to double it…there is plenty!
Our favorite way to serve this is warm out of the oven, topped with vanilla ice cream. My mouth is seriously watering, right NOW! It does warm up beautifully, so it makes for perfect leftovers or midnight snacks. It’s so easy to put together, with the slicing of the apples taking up the most time. It’s worth it, though…you won’t be sorry!
It’s perfect for the fall, but we love it all winter.
Who am I kidding…
We love it all year round.
It’s wonderful as part of a Thanksgiving menu, to serve to guests, or take to a party or gathering. It’s homey, cozy, and will warm you through…it’s simply irresistible!
The Best Apple Crisp
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. oats
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. butter
- 2 quarts apples--cored peeled, and sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish, and layer your apples in the dish.
- Spread the oatmeal mixture on top of the apples evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.
Affiliate links are included below for your convenience. Click on a link and make a purchase, and I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Favorite products for this recipe:
*Originally posted 10/28/2014. Updated 8/2020.