4×4 Post Polka Dot and Striped Flag
I love patriotic holidays, and decorating for them! I’m always looking for easy DIY decor ideas that are super cute and fit my budget. I adore the Striped & Polka Dot Pumpkins I made last fall so much, I just knew I had to make a flag version!
This is seriously the easiest project, plus it’s super cute, and inexpensive! If you’re looking for an easy way to add to your patriotic decor, this is it!
Here’s how you can make your own!
-4×4 wood post, cut into three 6 inch pieces
-red, white and blue spray paint
-vinyl dots or round stickers (mine are 1 inch)
-frog tape or painters tape
-medium grit sandpaper or power sander
1. Cut your 4×4 wood post into three pieces, all 6 inches tall.
2. Spray paint one of them white, the other two red. Let dry completely.
3. Add your vinyl dots (I used my Silhouette to cut out 1 inch circles) or round stickers to the white piece in a polka dot pattern. Use the frog tape to create stripes on the two red pieces. Start at the top (so the red stripe will be on top.) Depending on the size of your tape, you may need to overlap a couple of pieces to get the right spacing. To make four even stripes, I added one strip of tape, then another piece of tape in the middle of the first one, so it became 1 and 1/2 pieces of tape. I left a red space that same width, then repeated the tape. The bottom space should then be the same as the other stripes. I repeated the process on the second red wood piece, and I lined it up with the first piece, to make sure that they were the same.
4. Once all the dots and tape are on, spray paint the white piece navy blue, and spray the red pieces white. Let dry completely.
5. Remove all the tape and dots, then use your sandpaper or power sander to distress the the paint. I like mine pretty distressed, and to let that bottom color of paint show through, but if you like less sanding, that’s okay too! Wipe off all the excess dust.
6. Tie on twine or ribbon to the polka dot piece, and you’re set!!!
I love it!
Kierste Wade is a published author, blogger, and mom to six. With more than 20 years DIY and project experience, she has been sharing ideas on her blog since 2009. Focusing on simple and doable projects, she loves to share attainable ideas for all things home, holidays, and family. Kierste has been featured on Better Homes and Gardens, HGTV, American Farmhouse Magazine (print and online) Taste of Home, Country Living, and more.
And I thought I loved your 2×4 flag….this is even cuter!!!! Thanks for another GREAT idea!
Sarah, thank you!!!! So glad you dropped by!! xoxo
So cute! Love!
Thank you so much, Leigh Anne!!! xoxo
Very cute Kierste! You always rock the wood crafts!
I was just thinking last night what I could make for the 4th with 4x4s like I did for the pumpkins I did from your site!! These are perfect. Thanks!
Perfect timing!!! :) Thanks for stopping by!! xoxo
So cute, Kierste!! xo
Pinning it! I’m always looking for something different to brighten our home over a holiday weekend. This is perfect and so easy!
Thanks so much for the pin, and for dropping by!!! xoxo Glad you love it too!
These are so cute and simple! I love this idea! Pinning!
Thanks so much, Christine!!! xo
Super cute! I made them and I love them! Thank you so much!
That is such a cute idea, I wish I would have found these before the fourth of July.
Make them now for next year!!! Then you will be WAY ahead! :)
I love your 4×4 candle holders. I saw one for Halloween with witches boots on them. Where would I get a stencil for that?
You can order it online–check etsy for custom vinyl, or call my friend Becky here: http://writings-onthewall.com
She’s awesome, and can do anything you want!! Just let her know what you’re looking for, and where you saw it. xoxo