Delightful Lemon Meltaways Cookies…easy to make, and they’ll melt in your mouth!
I’m pretty much obsessed with anything lemon. All I have to do is see the word “lemon”, and I totally want to try the recipe. That’s what happened a week ago, when a friend shared a recipe via e-mail. AND it was for Lemon Meltaways, which, come on now, how can that be resisted? Not very well!
I made them, LOVED them, my kids loved them, and they now have a permanent place in my recipe book. I’m sharing them with you today, and I don’t think you’ll be able to resist them either!
Lemon Meltaways Cookie Recipe
This isn’t a typical cookie recipe, which makes me love it that much more. No beaters are required–just mix up the ingredients, which takes all of about 5 minutes. Tops. After rolling the dough into two logs, it does require refrigeration, but I love that too, because you can prep ahead of time if you need to. I whipped up the cookies the night before I needed them, and the next morning it was super easy to slice, bake, and glaze them. They only require about an hour in the fridge though, so if you need them faster, that works too!
The cookies are light, crisp, and perfect for spring and summer, although I love them the whole year. I know exactly how they got the “meltaway” part of their name. The cookie isn’t super sweet, and allows you to really taste the butter flavor. The lemony glaze adds the sweetness, and a little more tartness, to make the combination absolutely perfect!
These would be delightful at any party, wedding shower, baby shower, BBQ…or anywhere, really. Package them up and deliver to a friend or neighbor, and they will love you forever.
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel grated
- 1 ¼ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all the cookie ingredients. Divide dough in half, and roll into logs, making them as smooth and even as possible. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Unwrap, then cut into 1/4 inch-1/2 Inch thick slices and place them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
- To make the glaze, combine all ingredients and mix well–removing all lumps of powdered sugar with a whisk. Frost cooled cookies. Sprinkle with lemon zest.You'll be able to stack the cookies after about 12 hours–the glaze will harden.
*Originally posted June 23, 2014. Updated June 2020.