A rich and delicious chocolate bundt cake that’s made simple by doctoring a cake mix. It’s an easy bundt cake recipe that tastes like it came from a bakery!
Fancy up a cake mix…use any flavor you like!
The beauty of this recipe is that it uses a cake mix + a few other ingredients that amplifies the flavor and gives it that bakery taste. That means you can sub the chocolate pudding and chocolate cake mix for other flavors (lemon + lemon is a favorite!), making this easy bundt cake recipe so versatile. Just remember to match the colors of the mixes…or colors that will blend easily to make a uniform color.
If it looks a little sparkly to you, that’s due to the fact that I always sugar my baking pan before pouring in the batter. It created the yummiest crispy outside, and when paired with the soft cake inside, it’s just fabulous! That part is totally optional if you’d rather not, but holy moly, is it yummy!
Box cake to bakery cake!
In addition to the pudding mix, extra eggs also contribute to making this go from a regular box cake to a divinely delicious bakery cake. It also adds flavor and richness, resulting in a cake that will be gobbled up in minutes.
Quick & easy…whips up in minutes!
The batter doesn’t take very long at all to put together, and it’s in the oven to bake in less than 10 minutes. I just love recipes that are quick and easy, but taste like I spent all day!
The fudgy frosting is a cooked frosting, and it basically melts in your mouth. It’s the perfect complement to the cake.
Easy Bundt Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix (I like Duncan Hines)
- 1 5.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray really well, then coat the pan with sugar.
- With a hand mixer, combine the cake mix, pudding, flour, eggs, water, and oil in a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips (optional).
- Spoon into the bundt pan and bake for 45-55 minutes. My oven bakes really slow, so mine always takes longer, but start checking around 45 minutes, just to make sure. Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes, then turn out onto a cake plate. While it's cooling, make the frosting!
- To make the frosting: Measure the powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl. In a large glass measuring cup, or glass bowl (microwave safe), melt the butter, cocoa, and 2 tablespoons of the milk until it comes to a boil. Stir well, then add to the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and the rest of the milk, beating with a wooden spoon until the consistency is smooth. Add a little more milk if necessary.
- I like my frosting to be a little thicker on the cake, so once I have the frosting consistency they way I like it, I microwave it for about 10 seconds. Then I can easily spoon the frosting over the cake, and it will go right back to the consistency I started with. If you like it a little thinner, then add a little more milk--then you won't have to microwave it.