I love lemon all the time, but it’s a perfect match to springtime! Since we’re nearing spring (at least I’m hoping), I wanted to share one of my absolute favorite recipes ever, Lemon Cream Cake. It’s perfect for all of your spring parties and Easter menus, and you’ll have people chasing you down for the recipe!
It is SO SO yummy. Layers of moist cake and cream cheese filling, topped with little crumbles of powdered sugar & butter—it just melts in your mouth! What I love about it even more, is that it uses a boxed cake mix (Duncan Hines is my favorite!!), so it speeds up the process. The creamy filling adds so much to the cake that you can’t even tell it’s not homemade.
PERFECT FOR SPRING & EASTER…AND ANYTIME!
I make this as part of our Easter Sunday menu, and it’s my favorite part. It’s lighter than a typical cake because of the filling, which is also the frosting, and it looks pretty as well as tastes divine. Spring parties, gatherings, dinners, lunches, even baby showers and bridal showers are the perfect places to serve this cake!
Lemon Cream Cake
- 1 white cake mix I like French Vanilla
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1-8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1 c. heavy cream
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. cold butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Make and bake as directed in 2 nine-inch cake pans.
- Lemon Filling: In a medium-size bowl, combine cream cheese and 2 cups powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in lemon juice. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on high, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Using a spoon, fold cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream; set aside.
- Crumb Topping: In a medium-size bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Add butter and dribble in the vanilla extract. Cut cold butter into flour mixture until mixture is in pieces no larger than a pea. Refrigerate until ready to frost cake.
- Assembling the cake: When the cake is completely cool, spread about half of the filling on the bottom half of the cake. (You can tell how much you'll need...) Place the second half on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the Lemon Cream Filling. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the Crumb Topping, pressing it onto the sides to cover. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Cut into slices and dust with powdered sugar.