Because I love you so much, I’m going to share one of the YUMMIEST soup recipes you will ever make! One of our family’s favorite traditions is “Friday Night Pizza”, and this past Friday I substituted our regular pizza for pizza soup. Did you know, I had not one complaint? Just an empty crockpot, second and third bowls gobbled up by EVERY child, and a request to have it again next Friday night! THAT’S how good it is.
This soup is chock full of flavor, packed with veggies, and contains the traditional pizza favorites like pepperoni and sausage. Even better? It’s made in the crockpot, doesn’t take long to throw together, and fills your house with the most delicious aroma. This is one soup you need to try…tonight!!!
I found the original recipe on the blog A Year of Slow Cooking, but I made just a couple of changes, which are reflected in the recipe below. I can’t wait for you make this…you are going to love it! Enjoy!
- 1 jar (14 oz.) pizza sauce
- 3 empty jars full of water
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ring turkey sausage, sliced and cut into quarters
- 1 c. sliced pepperoni, sliced in quarters
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 T dried)
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 c. dried pasta
- shredded mozzarella cheese or fresh parmesan (for topping)
- Wash and prepare veggies, and add them to the crockpot. Cut up the sausage and pepperoni, and add to the veggies. Add basil and oregano. Pour in the pizza sauce, and follow with three empty jars of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Since everything is already cooked, it’s basically heating through, and letting all the flavors culminate. If you’re in a hurry, you can serve this in as little as 4-5 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, add the dry pasta, and turn to high. The original recipe called for ½ c. pasta, but we found that wasn’t enough for us. After a few tries, we decided on 1 ½ c. of pasta. This is definitely something you can experiment with as well!
- Garnish/top with shredded mozzarella cheese, or freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Serve with garlic bread!