The definitely of hitting the jackpot when you’re a mom? When every single one of you kids AND your husband absolutely loves the dinner you made. There is a hands down favorite meal at our house, and my kids beg me to make it on a regular basis. Potato Chip Chicken is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and packed with flavor. With sides of ranch dressing and honey mustard, it’s pretty much heaven and a HUGE crowd-pleaser. It’s a winner, all the way around!!
Famous 3-ingredient Potato Chip Chicken
Seriously, this chicken will make you a rockstar! It’s popular with everyone I’ve served it to, and it’s great for company and feeding a crowd. I’m warning you…make a lot, it will go fly off the table! My kids absolutely love, as do everyone I’ve ever served it to. I have certain friends that request this every time they come over for dinner…it’s just that good.
It’s an easy and quick recipe, and has only three simple ingredients! I like to use chicken tenders because they’re faster and easier, but you can also use chicken breasts and cut them into strips or nugget-sized pieces. The chicken is dipped in buttermilk, which acts as a tenderizer, and then rolled in crunched up potato chips. I prefer plain wavy chips–they make a thicker crust and hold up really well. You can always get a little crazy and try flavored chips–sour cream & onion is super yummy!
This is also a very easy recipe to adjust for how many people you’re serving– you can make it for 2 people, or 20! I honestly have made it so many times I don’t measure the buttermilk or the potato chips…it’s one of those recipes that has simple and basic ingredients, with amounts that can be flexible. And did I mention how GOOD they are?
P.S. Buttermilk is important because that’s what helps make the chicken so tender. If you don’t have any on hand, and don’t want to wait to make this recipe, you can always make your own using vinegar and milk. 1 cup buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon white vinegar + enough milk to measure 1 cup, OR 1 cup buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon lemon juice + enough milk to measure 1 cup. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
Potato Chip ChickenPIN RECIPE PRINT RECIPE
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders, or boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips or pieces
- 1 pint buttermilk
- 1 large bag plain, wavy potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray liberally with cooking spray.
- If you're using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut them into strips or nugget-sized pieces. Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl, and let the chicken soak for 10 minutes, or up to 30 minutes--however much time you have!
- Use a rolling pin to crunch the potato chips while they're in the bag, then pour them into a pie plate. One-by-one, take the chicken from its buttermilk bath, roll it in the potato chips, then set them on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is done and the potato chips are golden brown. The baking time will depend on the size of your chicken--if you did smaller pieces or strips, so watch carefully.
- Serve with ranch dip (ranch dressing packet mixed with sour cream), honey mustard, and ketchup.