These darling Popcorn Lollipops are perfect for Memorial Day, summertime, and the 4th of July….or customize for any holiday, season, or theme!
They are super kid-friendly, fast and easy to make, and look darling! Serve these at your 4th of July BBQ, and they will be a sure-fire hit! My favorite way to make popcorn balls is with marshmallows–the same way you make Rice Krispie treats, but with popcorn.
Easy Popcorn Lollipops
Melt the butter, add the marshmallows, and heat over a medium high heat, stirring constantly, until it’s nice and smooth. Pour it over the popcorn, stir with a wooden spoon until all the popcorn is covered. I let it rest for a few minutes, to let the marshmallow cool and harden a little, which makes it easier to form the popcorn balls. Coating your hands with butter is REALLY important when forming the popcorn balls, otherwise it will just stick like crazy to your hands and make a total mess.
Once all the popcorn balls are formed, you can add the stick into the center of the ball to make it a lollipop! I usually use sucker or popsicle sticks, but I was out of both, so I used the thicker craft sticks. I wouldn’t recommend it–they were too thick, and caused the popcorn ball to divide much too easily. I’ve never had a problem with the other two, so I would definitely stick to those.
After your lollipops are made, you’re ready to dip them into melted white chocolate, and then add patriotic sprinkles. Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve!
These can be adapted to any holiday (we love doing them at Halloween), and they’re also perfect for birthday parties. Customize them with whatever color sprinkles you like! Popcorn Lollipops!! LOVE!!!
- 1 10 oz. bag of mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 16 cups popped popcorn, (I used air popped)
- 1 package white chocolate chips
- craft sticks or popsicle sticks
- Place the popped popcorn in an extra large bowl, with plenty of room to stir. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the marshmallows, and stir constantly until smooth. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn, and use a wooden spoon to completely cover the popcorn.
- Let the mixture sit for about 5-10 minutes, to let the marshmallow cool–but not harden. Coat your hands with butter, then form the popcorn mixture into balls. Place them on a piece of wax paper that has also been rubbed with a little butter. Don't use cooking spray–it leaves a yucky taste on the popcorn.
- Once all the popcorn balls are formed, push the popsicle/sucker sticks into the center of each ball. Melt the white chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave. Start with 30 seconds, stir, then another 15-30 seconds and stir until smooth. Dip the top half of the popcorn balls into the white chocolate, then immediately add the sprinkles. Refrigerate until time to serve. Makes 6-8 popcorn balls, depending on size.