Brownies have to be one of my most favorite desserts. Rich, fudgy, and full of chocolate-y goodness–they are totally irresistible! One of my favorite variations has gooey marshmallows and a delightful pecan chocolate frosting…Mississippi Mud Brownies!
You are going to want to stop everything and make these right now! You can make these a couple of different ways–you can either make the brownies from scratch, or use a brownie mix for an even faster and easier version. Sometimes you just need something quick and yummy, especially during the busy holiday season.
If I’m using a mix, my favorite is Ghirardelli brownie mix, and if I’m making it gluten-free, then I really like the GF Betty Crocker brownie mix.
- 1 c. melted butter
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 10.5-ounce bag miniature marshmallows
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/3 c. cocoa
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 2-3 T. milk or half and half
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Stir together butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Mix in the flour, cocoa, and salt. Pour into a greased 9x9 (if you want them really thick) or 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (a few more if it's a 9x9--check often), or until toothpick comes out clean. Don't overbake! Remove brownies from the oven, then evenly cover the top of the brownies with the marshmallows. Place bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, make your frosting! Mix the powdered sugar and cocoa together, then beat in the butter and add milk unto you get the right consistency. Add salt, mix well. Microwave the frosting for about 30 seconds, or until it can be easily poured. Stir in the pecans, then pour over the marshmallows.
- Cool before cutting. If you can! :)