Darling DIY Polka Dot Christmas Plates…super easy and quick to make, plus they cost only a little over $1 each! Perfect for holiday table & entertaining.
DIY Polka Dot Christmas Plates
I have always wanted really cute Christmas plates, but whenever I saw any I liked, I couldn’t bring myself to pay for them. So…I decided to make my own, and get this…not only are the SO easy, they only cost $1 each!
I love love LOVE how they turned out. And it was so simple. It literally took me 20 minutes, plus the baking time. Can I just tell you how much I adore projects that are quick and simple and super cute?
I found the plates at Dollar Tree for $1 each, and they’re by Royal Norfolk. They seem to carry that brand quite often, and I’ve bought them there for years. They’re really nice, heavy duty plates that are perfect for entertaining and guests! You can make enough plates for 12 people, for only $12!
I didn’t paint in the center of the plates, because I didn’t want to worry about them being food-safe. I’m kind of obsessed with polka dots, and I thought they would not only be fun at Christmas, but all year long! You could also use a paintbrush to make stripes around the edges, or other stencils too–whatever you like!
- -plain ceramic plates (dollar store)
- –multi-surface craft paint (I used Martha Stewart)
- -round sponge (to make polka dots)
1. Dip round sponge in paint, dab it a little on a piece of foil or paper towel to remove the excess, then stamp on the edge of the plate. Repeat the process, following your desired pattern. For the polka dots, I found it was easiest to follow this pattern:
2. Once they are all polka dotted, follow the paint directions for curing. I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Paint, and I had two options: curing for 21 days, or baking the oven. I’m super impatient, so I went with the oven method. I placed the plates in a cold oven, then turned the temperature to 350 degrees. I baked them for 30 minutes, then turned off the oven and let the plates cool inside. Once they cure for three days, you’re ready to go! They’re even dishwasher safe, which is awesome. But…make sure to read the directions on the paint you choose, because the curing process could differ.
That’s it! Seriously, SO simple and easy. I can’t wait to use them! Dinner parties, family parties and get togethers, Christmas Eve or Christmas dinner…they’ll be the perfect touch!