An easy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that’s perfect for busy nights and chilly weather.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
It’s soup season! Hooray! I love to serve soup at least once a week–maybe more. Not only does my family love it, but I love that I can make it in the morning, and then serve it anytime.
Crockpot soups are my favorite, because I can add all the ingredients in the morning, and then just serve it that night when very little additional prep. It’s definitely a busy mom’s best friend. With sports, dance, and music lessons, we’re on the go a lot in the evenings, and the crockpot is my favorite way to make a yummy dinner for my kids that’s ready whenever we need it.
A friend shared this recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup years ago, and it’s been at the top of my list ever since. It’s super yummy, and it’s healthy, so it makes everyone happy!
There are just a few ingredients, and most of them are probably already in your pantry. It comes together in just minutes, and after all day in your crockpot, it’s ready to serve to a hungry family!
The soup is so good, but I also LOVE the crispy tortilla strips that get sprinkled on top. I use a pizza cutter to cut corn tortillas into strips, and fry them in a little oil in a cast iron skillet, but I’ve seen them at stores already made if you would rather go that route. If you’ve never had the homemade version, I think it’s definitely worth a try–it really doesn’t take that long, and they are SO yummy.
From our family to yours…enjoy!!!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts--cubed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 mild green chili seeded and chopped
- Tortilla strips
- Cheddar Cheese/Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Combine chicken breasts, onion, garlic, tomatoes, north, salt, pepper, and green chili in your crockpot. Cook on high for 6 hours, then low until ready to serve. In each bowl, place a layer of cheese (whichever kind you like best--I love both of them!), then spoon the soup on top. Sprinkle with tortilla strips, cilantro, and avocado.
- Serves 6.
- *For my family of 8,I usually double the beans to bulk it up a little, and even add an extra chicken breast. The ingredients can be forgiving--if you like extra of something, add it in!