Hello, it’s Kara, from Creations by Kara! Some people may think PB & J’s are just for kids, but I still enjoy one every now and then. Do you still love a good peanut butter sandwich? My very favorite is one made with homemade wheat bread, creamy peanut butter, and homemade raspberry jam. So yummy. If you enjoy PB J’s, you should really give these Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars a try!
They start with a simple shortbread crust, then they have a layer of jam and peanut butter chips, topped with more buttery crust. Served warm they are an ooey gooey treat that is rich and delicious. After cooled down, they are crunchy and chewy with a gooey layer in the middle. I like them best cooled. Either way, make sure you have a tall glass of milk.
I used raspberry jam (told you it was my favorite!), but you can use any flavor you like.
These bars are so easy to make, and sure to be a hit with kids, and kids at heart. :)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup jam or jelly of your choice, I used raspberry
- 1 2/3 cups Reese's peanut butter chips, divided
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients till mixture is crumbly. Stir in egg till dough forms. Set aside 1 cup of the dough.
- Press remaining dough in the bottom of a well greased 8" pan. Spread jam evenly over the dough. Sprinkle 1 cup of the chips evenly over the jam. Stir remaining chips into the reserved dough. Break dough into bits and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375° for about 25 minutes or till golden brown. Cool completely, then cut into bars.
Here are a few other yummy peanut butter bars you can try!