I am seriously obsessed with frosted sugar cookies. And let’s face it…the whole purpose for the cookie is as a vehicle of the frosting. ☺ I made these adorable Patriotic Sugar Cookie Cups, and the whole middle is filled with yummy goodness! Add a few sprinkles on top, and it becomes the perfect 4th of July dessert for any BBQ or get together this summer. You aren’t going to believe how easy they are to make–less than 20 minutes–and they are absolutely delicious!
I just love these cookie cups! Aren’t they adorable? You could easily change the sprinkles to match any holiday or party theme–Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day…SO cute!
I like to use a sugar cookie mix for this recipe, because it works so well in the mini muffin tin, but you can certainly try your favorite recipe. My favorite is the mix by Betty Crocker, and I always get a lot of requests for the recipe. ☺ I also always make my own buttercream frosting, and it makes a big difference. If you’ve never made it before, you should try it now! It really only takes a few minutes, and it’s well worth the time and effort. It’s easy to whip up while the cookies are baking and cooling, and my recipe is perfect for spreading or piping.
Patriotic Sugar Cookie CupsPRINT RECIPE
- Mix up the sugar cookies according to package directions, OR make your own sugar cookie recipe.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray (I like Baker's Joy for baking!), and preheat the oven to 375 degrees, or 350 for dark or nonstick pans.
- Press cookie dough firmly into each tin, onto the sides and bottom. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until cookie cups are lightly brown. Cool completely, then remove from muffin tin.
- While the cookie cups are baking, make your frosting! Add the shortening and butter to the powdered sugar, and beat while slowly adding the milk or cream. Start with just a tablespoon, then if it's too thick, add another tablespoon. Add the vanilla and salt, then beat on high for a minute or so until the frosting is thick and creamy.
- When the cookie cups are cool, add the frosting to a sandwich bag, push it to one corner, then snip off the corner of the bag. Pipe frosting into each cookie cup and top with sprinkles!
- Refrigerate until ready to serve!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 4th of July. Every bit of it. The celebration of this great nation, fireworks, food, friends, decorations…I love it all! It makes me so excited to announce that 101 of your favorite bloggers….yes, you read that right, 101!!!…have teamed up to create the ULTIMATE Red, White and Blue Roundup. This is one roundup you just can’t miss! At the end of this post, after I share my fabulous Patriotic Sugar Cookie Cups, you’ll find the complete list of Red, White and Blue projects. Sit down, get comfortable, and get ready to pin!