This week my kids were begging me to make cookies, and I ended up making Oatmeal Scotchies. They are a classic cookie that have long been one of my favorites, but I hadn’t made them for my kids in a very long time. I don’t know why, because they were a huge hit with them too, and I’m sure it won’t be long before we make them again!
If you haven’t made them before, they should definitely go on your must-try list. Creamy butterscotch and hearty oatmeal wrapped up in a buttery cookie dough…YUM!!! They come together quickly, and in less than 20 minutes, you can have heavenly warm cookies out of the oven!
Traditional Oatmeal Scotchies call for cinnamon–I don’t love it with the butterscotch, so I always leave it out. If you like it, you can certainly add it! Adapted from Nestle.
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 c.granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 2/3 c. 11 oz. butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Let cool on baking sheets before removing.