We go to the library…a lot. In the summer we go even more often, usually once a week, so we always have a stack of library books that we’ve checked out. I like having a specific place to put them, so they don’t get lost, or mixed up with our own books. I made this darling Library Books Crate, and I LOVE it. It was so easy to make, and the perfect place for all the library books that come into our home.
I knew I wanted to use a crate–I made bookshelves out of them for our own children’s books, and I love them. Crates are sturdy, a great size for books, inexpensive, and SO cute!
This was such an easy project, and I adore the stripes. It turns an ordinary crate into something fabulous!
A cute tag lends just the right final touch.
I’m just so happy when I have a place for everything! Here’s how I did it:
(affiliate links included below for your convenience)
–wooden crate ( I got mine at Michael’s with a 40% off coupon–around $7)
-free printable (see below)
–laminator or self-lamination sheets or Staples/Office Max ☺
1. Tape off two of the wood slats, both on the front and the back.
2. Spray paint the crate your main color choice, inside and outside, and let dry completely.
3. Remove the painters tape. Using a foam brush, apply your second color on to the wood slats. I used spray paint, so I just sprayed some on to a paper plate (don’t use foam…it will eat it), and dipped my foam brush into it. Let dry completely.
4. Use your power sander or sandpaper (I used 100 grit) to distress your paint as much as you like. Wipe off excess dust with a damp cloth.
5. Use Distress Ink (made for paper, but works great on wood too!) to distress the edges of the wood. You can also use stain or glaze if you would rather!
6. Print the printable onto white cardstock. Trim to size, then laminate. I used my laminator, but you can also buy self-lamination sheets (no heat) at an office supply store that work well. Or…just have them laminate it for you!!! Punch a hole in one end, and use jute to tie it onto the crate.
That’s it’!! Now you’ve got your own library books crate!!