Oh, how I ADORE lemon. Recipes with lemon are constantly beckoning to me, especially if they’re sweet. ☺ Spring is the perfect time to enjoy lemon recipes–the color, taste, smell–it’s delightful. These Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes are remarkably and insanely good. Being a frosting girl, I could eat it with a spoon all by itself, it’s that good. Not that I would EVER do that. ;)
I love these cupcakes because the lemon flavor is, well, lemon-y! The rich cream cheese frosting melts in your mouth, and the two together are…perfection. Make them for a gathering, special occasion like a baby shower, to give to a friend, or just because!!!
- 1 box lemon cake mix (I’m a Duncan Hines girl!)
- 1 small package lemon instant pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. oil
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 2-3 T. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cake ingredients for 30 seconds on a low speed, then scrape the sides and mix for another 2 minutes on medium speed. Line cupcake pans with liners, and fill 1/2 full. Bake for 21-24 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean Cool for 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Beat frosting ingredients together with an electric mixer until well blended. Start with 2 T. lemon juice, and add more if necessary. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with yellow sugar or lemon zest.