Kara, from Creations by Kara is sharing a yummy recipe today!
On the lookout for an easy after school snack for the kiddos? Give these Chocolate Energy Bites a try. I bet they’ll be a big hit with everyone at your house!
My boys started school this week. Dang why does summer have to go so fast? I mean I’m kind of glad to be back into a routine that includes kids in bed before 10:30, but I do miss having them around during the day. And of course my four year old is going through withdrawals because preschool hasn’t started yet. But school always starts whether I’m ready for it or not. Like, every single year.
And of course, once school starts, as the mom it’s my job to make sure we have plenty of snacks on hand. Because the first thing my kids want to know when they walk through the door is “what can I eat?” And if you have teenage boys at your house, you know they are ALWAYS hungry. I’ve been trying to come up with foods that will keep them satisfied for more than 3.5 minutes. A bag of fruit snacks just doesn’t cut it.
I’ve made homemade granola bars before, but wrapping them individually is kind of a pain. So I decided to make some adjustments to one of my granola bar recipes, and form them into balls instead. I added flax seed, extra nuts and peanut butter, and voila- energy bites. No wrapping- just place them in a ziplock bag and toss them in the fridge. They are packed with fiber, protein, and nutrients, but they taste like a treat. My kids LOVED them! They will be a frequent after school snack at our house in the coming months I’m sure.
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 2/3 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flax seed, ground
- 3 Tbsp wheat germ
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- Stir together oats, nuts, flax seed, wheat germ, and chocolate chips in a mixing bowl.
- In a glass bowl, melt the peanut butter and honey together in the microwave, stirring till smooth. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir till well blended. (The chocolate chips will melt.)
- Roll into balls about 1 1/4" across. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.